Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.
- Anaïs Nin
One thing that I believe is important is checking in with yourself. Are you happy with the way your life is going, or would you like to change some things? Sometimes writing things out can allow you to have an outsider's look at the way you live your life. Go somewhere quiet with something you can take notes on, and take some time to self reflect.
The following are some topics you can explore:
- Are you eating in a way that maintains/improves your health?
- Are you taking appropriate medications / having issues addressed? - Do you get enough exercise?
- Do you have a faith? Would you like to look into one?
- What would be the advantages or disadvantages in your life, if you were to become religious?
- If you have a religion, are you happy with the frequency you practice?
- How can you incorporate new practices into your day?
Career - Are you happy where you're currently at in your career?
- Is there a new skill you'd like to learn, to improve your performance? - How can you advance yourself?
Social Life - How is your social circle? - Do you need to cut out toxicity? - When is the last time you met up with a friend? - Do you need to check in on anyone?
Mental Health - Do you have good coping skills when you experience hardship?
- What is your stress level like lately? What could be contributing to it?
- Do you need to establish barriers with people, for your own wellbeing?
- Are you properly planning / using your time wisely, so as not to get overwhelmed?
- Did you do anything for fun lately? - Are you making time to work on a skill?
Daily Routine - Is self-care a priority for you?
- Are you feeling bored by your current routine?
-Do you need to create a chore accountability chart?
- What is your financial situation like?
Short Term Goals
- What can you accomplish in a month?
- What is a habit you'd like to break?
All of the above are starting points in building your Yearly Check-In. From there, you answer the question fully, then explore your options in fulfilling the solutions you come up with. In my 2020 check-in, I highlighted that I wanted to dedicate some time during the day for a hobby. Along with taking up gardening, I've started this blog! It has made a difference in my life; I have something to look forward to, but it also "refreshes" me. Getting a break for just a few minutes brings my morale up, and I find myself motivated for the rest of the day to accomplish all of my tasks.
It is my hope that these may serve as your stepping stones to building the best you; I think every year is a new opportunity to upgrade your life, no matter how small that may be.